What is Sleep Dentistry?
Sleep dentistry or sedation dentistry uses medication to reduce pain and discomfort that patients may experience otherwise while going through dental treatments. There are different types of dental anxieties that people may experience, which include pain, the fright of dental equipment or tools, phobia of the smell of medicines etc.
With the implementation of sleep dentistry, your body enters into a sleep-like state, as the sedatives calm down your body and brain. In this state, the dental procedures become painless and easy. This is why sleep dentistry has made the complex dental treatments stress-free and approachable for patients with dental anxieties.
Is Sleep Dentistry Safe?
All types of sedation are performed before the dental procedures can commence. The expert dentists go through the medical history of the patient to understand their receptiveness for the sedation. There are several things that are considered before deciding the type of sedation to be used, including:
- The type of dental treatment that the patient requires undergoing.
- Is the patient allergic to certain medications?
- Does the patient have any medical condition such as blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, or any other serious health condition?
- Is the patient under medication? If yes, then the experts check to ensure that medication doesn’t react to the sedatives that will be administered.
- The age of the patient.
- Sedatives work differently for people who consume alcohol. They are asked not to consume alcohol at least 48 hours before they can undergo their treatment.
- Dentists suggest that you stop smoking at least 24 hours before taking the sedatives for a dental procedure. If you are to undergo a bigger dental treatment, then anaesthetists advise stopping smoking 8 weeks before the procedure.
Sleep dentistry is definitely safe when it is provided by an expert and experienced team of doctors. Our caring dentists at Healthy Smiles will guide you about the process and clarify any doubts you have during the consultation process.
We Offer Premium Dental Services
At Healthy Smiles, we have a team of caring and skilled dentists and anaesthetists who are trained to administer sedation dentistry. We are also equipped with modern dental equipment that is used to monitor the vital functions of the patient’s body after sedation and when the dental treatment is under process. Everything is performed, controlled, and monitored by an experienced anaesthetist. We offer every type of dental treatment. Visit our clinic at the following address or call us at the given number below to avail our expert dental care.
Healthy Smiles Dental Group
Address: 152 Canterbury Road,
Blackburn South Vic 3130
Phone No: 03 9877 2035