Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. With proper care, they may last up to 15 years before they need to be replaced. Following good oral hygiene can help in preventing oral diseases from developing around the implants. This promotes healthy teeth and preserves the integrity of the implants too.
Importance of Cleaning Dental Implants
The health of our teeth is determined by their surrounding tissues. Therefore cleaning tooth replacements is as significant as cleaning your natural teeth because dental implants are also part of your oral health. Plaque or bacterial biofilm accumulates over our implant crowns just like it does over our natural teeth. They must be cleaned every day because their amassing can result in an infection known as per-implants, which may cause loss of the dental implant. This infection is more catastrophic than general inflammation around the teeth. Per-implants cause ‘dish-shaped or well-shaped’ bone loss around the implant that has been affected. Therefore, it is vital to care for dental implants and keep it clean.
How to Clean Dental Implants
Unlike dentures, dental implants require cleaning at home and professionally by a dentist. Our excellent dentists at Blackburn will provide your dental implants with the required cleaning and maintenance to ensure their longevity. Here are some techniques to care for dental implants and keep it clean at home:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your teeth and dental implants twice every day. Bacteria tend to attack our teeth; therefore, we must brush and clean our teeth and implants before going to bed at night.
- Use toothpaste that is less abrasive to your teeth. Those with lots of harmful chemicals can cause dental implants to erode and loosen.
- Our excellent dentist at Blackburn will teach you the right techniques to brush your teeth. You must ensure that you brush around and under the implant crown to clear it of food particles caught in-between.
- Interdental brush coated with nylon will help in cleaning areas of the mouth that are hard to reach.
- You must use an un-waxed tape or implant-friendly floss recommended by our dentist and regularly floss your teeth.
- Dental water jets or oral irrigator is an alternative to flossing and extremely helpful in cleaning between teeth and below the gum line.
Professional Cleaning at Healthy Smiles
Our caring and skilled dentists play an important role in keeping your dental implants free from infection. Every patient has a different oral condition and a different type of implant. Some common factors considered are the location of the deposit, nature of the debris (soft or hard), their stubbornness, and the surface on which they accumulate. Therefore, they make the right selection of tools and dental instruments to professionally clean your teeth.
If you are afraid of dental tools and the implant procedures, our comforting sleep dentistry at Healthy Smiles can take your worries away.
For premium experience in all types of dental treatments, visit our clinic Healthy Smiles, at the address given below or call us on 03 9877 2035 to book a complimentary consultation session with our dentists.
Address: 152 Canterbury Road,
Blackburn South Vic 3130
Phone No: 03 9877 2035